Your third eye is located in the center of your forehead. It is the site of the Ajna chakra.
The third eye is part of what is called “the subtle body,” and it is an important force in governing how prana moves within the body.
When the third eye is activated it will allow you to see the truth of who you are and everything around you. Your dreams become more vivid and your imagination and concentration are stronger.
Also, you trust your intuition. Yogi Bhajan once said:
“Going through life without intuition is like driving a car which has no side mirror and no rearview mirror. All you can see is just straight ahead.”
Other benefits of opening your third eye include:
- helps penetrate the veil of duality;
- promotes the acquisition of psychic powers;
- bestows inner peace;
- builds mental fortitude;
- builds insight.
In the field of science, the third eye is referred to as the pineal gland, a pea-sized gland, that produces melatonin, a hormone that changes your sleep patterns, both in seasonal and circadian cycles.
List Of 10 Ways To Open Your Third Eye Fast
#1 Trataka Meditation
Trataka meditation, also called gazing meditation, is a type of meditation where you keep your eyes open and focus on a small point or object.
A candle flame is traditionally used, as your eyes absorb the light of the flame, and its image remains once the eyes are shut.
Trataka meditation is a part of Hatha Yoga, a type of yoga that integrates physical movements with energy work and meditation.
“Looking intently with an unwavering gaze at a small point until tears are shed, is known as trataka by the acharyas.” (“Hatha Yoga Pradipika” 2:31)
Trataka is attributed to have the following benefits:
- enhances patience and self-confidence;
- improves willpower, memory, and concentration;
- soothing effect on the cranial nerves;
- improves visualization skills;
- improves vision in the dark;
- improves cognitive function;
- balances the activity in the two hemispheres of the brain;
- cures eye diseases;
- calms the anxious mind;
- increases nervous stability;
- brings suppressed thoughts to the surface;
- clears accumulated mental complexes;
- helps with insomnia;
- makes the eyes stronger.
Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position with your spine straight.
Place the candle about an arm’s length away from you with the wick of the candle and at your eye level. The flame should be still.
Place your palms on your knees. Close your eyes. Place your attention lightly on your out-breath, while remaining aware of your environment.
Then, open your eyes and rest your gaze on the middle part of the flame.
Gaze without blinking and without strain.
Consistently practice 3 to 5 minutes a day until you can comfortably gaze without tears or discomfort.
Note – Trataka is cautioned against people with severe eye disorders.
Tip – Trataka should be done late at night before going to bed.
The following asanas make a great sequence for activating your third eye chakra:
- Balasana – resting your eyebrow center on the floor helps activate the pineal gland;
- Thunderbolt pose – it helps to stabilize the mind;
- Makarasana – it increases circulation to your brain and face.
In addition, the Five Tibetan Rites are excellent for balancing your third eye chakra.
Sungazing, also known as sun-eating, is an ancient practice used by yogis for stimulating the pineal gland.
Tips – start at 10 seconds and add 10 seconds for each day you gaze that follows. Stand barefoot on the ground while sungazing.
Warning – you must only sun-gaze during the hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset, due to the low UV during these times.
#4 Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
Nadi Shodhana, also known as alternate nostril breathing, is a breathing practice that brings balance to the right and left brain hemispheres. Other benefits include:
- enhances the ability to concentrate;
- infuses the body with oxygen;
- fosters mental clarity;
- releases toxins;
- balances masculine and feminine energies;
- reduces stress;
- helps to alleviate respiratory allergies;
- supports respiratory channels;
- helps to balance hormones;
- rejuvenates the nervous system.
Learn how to practice alternate nostril breathing here.
#5 Energy Healing
Healing energy works to promote the human energy force and treat energetic imbalances.
Reiki, a Japanese energy healing technique, is probably the best-known energy healing method today.
The predominant form of Reiki practiced throughout the world today was created by Dr. Mikao Usui in the early 20th century.
#6 Darkness Retreat
Darkness triggers increased production of melatonin, and eventually DMT (Dimethyltryptamine).
This helps to stimulate the pineal gland.
To open the third eye, repeat affirmations that relate to insight, awareness, and intuition. Some examples of affirmations that are effective for the opening of the third eye include:
“My thoughts are calm and peaceful.”
“I let me inner wisdom guide me.”
“I have a good memory.”
“I am an intuitive person, and I know what is right for me.”
“I feel connected to my spiritual truth.”
“I trust my intuition.”
#8 Chanting AUM
Chanting “Aum” helps us open our third eye and connect to the divine force of the universe.
Tip – this practice can be particularly powerful if it’s practiced early in the morning.
Shirodhara is an Ayurvedic healing practice performed in India for more than 5,000 years.
This practice involves the use of warm oil being drizzled on the forehead to stimulate the unblocking and opening of the third eye.
Other benefits include:
- promotes fertility by stimulating the release of hormones in the pituitary glands;
- awakens inner wisdom and intuition;
- relaxes the face muscles;
- clears the mind;
- brings harmony to body, mind, and spirit;
- strengthens hair follicles to prevent premature graying and hair loss;
- enhances concentration and mental clarity;
- improves the sensitivity of five senses;
- improves sleep patterns;
- relieves migraine headaches;
- helps to relax the nervous system;
- helps to balance neurotransmitters such as melatonin, dopamine, and serotonin;
- generates a state of relaxation in mind and body.
Efficient crystals for opening the third eye are:
- black obsidian – it promotes a balance between reason and emotion;
- amethyst – it represents wisdom;
- purple fluorite – it clears up muddled thoughts.
- have a diet rich in whole plant-based foods;
- decalcify your pineal gland – it is recommended to avoid water sources and products that contain fluoride;
- reduce your screen time;
- spend time in nature;
- improvement in your decision making and thinking capacity;
- pressure on your third eye area;
- a feeling of increased connectivity with everything;
- meaningful synchronicities;
- increased sensitiveness towards other energy fields;
- dreams may become vivid;
- you are more conscious of what you eat;
- an increase in your energy healing capacities;
- colors appear brighter than ever;
- auras can be seen;
- increased intuition.
READ THIS NEXT: Affirmations to Balance Your Chakras