It is an Ayurvedic healing practice performed in India for over 5,000 years.
It involves a flow of warm oil over the forehead, which activates the pineal gland and pituitary gland.
This therapy is miraculous in awakening the intuitive knowledge of the body.
Ayurveda says that rejuvenating therapy (which is called Rasayana in Ayurveda) optimizes the circulation of nutrients to both mind and body.
During this rejuvenating and cleansing therapy, which is unique and can be found only in the Ayurveda system, the body is cleansed and put back into equilibrium again. Purification therapy not only dissolves disease-causing toxins but also replenishes tissues with nourishment.
In Ayurveda, this healing rejuvenation therapy is a great way to attain longevity, as it is aimed at the preservation of health.
There are specialized forms of this practice, such as: ksheeradhara, thakradhara, taildhara and jaladhara.
- Activates the third eye and the crown chakra (Sahasrara), and arouses inner wisdom and intuition;
- Mitigates depression, stress, and insomnia through the release of natural serotonin, melatonin, and dopamine;
- Improves mental concentration and clarity;
- Relaxes the nervous system, and balances the life force energy (PraanVaayu) around the head;
- Improves the sensitivity of 5 senses;
- Lessens migraine headaches;
- It helps to relieve diabetes;
- Minimizes hair loss and tiredness;
- Profoundly de-stresses body and mind;
- It helps in the treatment of insomnia;
- Revitalizes the entire face and diminishes worry lines;
- Elevates the senses;
- Soothes Vata reducing anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, irritability, fear, and excessive thinking;
Who should not have Shirodhara:
It is suitable for any dosha or constitution, however, there are some contraindications. But, it should not be given to women in their 3rd trimester of pregnancy and to those with a sunburn on the scalp or forehead.
Other contraindications include brain tumors, abrasions or cuts on the head, recent neck injury, vomiting, nausea, fever, acute illness, exhausting, fainting, or spontaneous sweating.
If you have an aversion to oil then this massage is also not recommended for you.
Image credit – Shutterstock
READ THIS NEXT: Back Pain – Spiritual Meaning