The pineal gland is an endocrine gland which is responsible for the production of serotonin, melatonin, and neuron transmitters that influences sleep-wake cycles and sexual development.
The pineal gland has been called “the seat of the soul” and is thought to be a very profound spiritual center of the brain.
Activation of the pineal gland may be what ancient mystics have called “opening your third eye.” The third eye governs your intuition, perception, and insight, and helps us perceive both the physical and the subtle.
Other benefits of pineal gland activation are:
- enhances your happiness and health;
- increases your concentration to achieve your goals;
- improves your capacity of non-verbal communication;
- subdues your ego;
- brings more clarity to your thoughts;
- improves your psychic capacity;
- builds your awareness.
List Of 11 Powerful Ancient Practices For Pineal Gland Activation:
#1 Dark Retreat
From to the Kogi Mamos in Colombia, the monks and lamas in Tibet, the mystics of 15th century France, and the ancient Egyptians, dark retreats have provided illumination and revelation to many practitioners who have sought the light within.
Why is it so effective? Basically, after an extended time in darkness, the brain releases DMT (dimethyltryptamine). This is a chemical which is also released after ingesting powerful substances such as ayahuasca (a shamanic power plant), or at birth and death.
Mantak Chia, a Taoist Master who is best known for teaching Taoist practices under the names of Tao Yoga, Healing Tao, Qi Gong, and Universal Healing Tao System, said about dark retreats:
”A totally dark environment is a distraction-free reset of the mind from its preoccupation of the senses, making it an ideal environment for self-inquiry and meditation. On top of that, the body is stimulated in darkness to produce dimethyltryptamine (DMT) from the amino acid tryptophan.”
Important note – nobody who has a history of mental disorders should ever participate in a dark retreat since there is a high risk of developing all kinds of symptoms which can require therapy.
This technique is used in both yoga and meditation and can immensely help you find inner peace, due to the fact that it helps ground and center you, allowing you to find calm and balance your body and mind.
Hot To Do Trataka Meditation:
- Prepare a dark room for meditation, so you can concentrate on your candle.
- Place your candle at 12-24 inches from your eyes. Light the candle.
- Sit down in a cross-legged position.
- Try to clear your mind from every thought. Take deep and slow breaths.
- Your only focus point is the flame of the candle.
- Try to maintain your gaze on the candle as long as you can.
- if thoughts are coming, acknowledge them; and then let them go;
- if you feel that you have to close your eyes, then close them and take a small break;
- if you start to tear, it is good. Tears are a sign that trataka meditation is working correctly.
Note – people with astigmatism (a type of refractive error in which the eye does not focus light evenly on the retina), eyestrain, or early cataract can modify trataka by gazing at a black dot drawn on a white wall, an arm’s length away. Furthermore, people with epilepsy or glaucoma (a group of related eye disorders which cause damage to the optic nerve which transports information from the eye to the brain) should not practice trataka.
#3 Alternate Nostril Breathing
Alternate nostril breathing is a yogic breath control practice. In Sanskrit, alternate nostril breathing is known as nadi shodhana pranayama. This translates as “subtle energy clearing breathing technique.”
Alternate nostril breathing may help to:
- clear blockages in the third eye chakra;
- promote overall well-being;
- reduce anxiety;
- relax your mind and body.
You can perform alternate nostril breathing as follows:
- Rest the base of the palm of your right hand on your chin, and your three middle fingers on the forehead.
- Gently press your left nostril closed with your little finger, and breathe in through the right nostril.
- Close the right nostril with your thumb, and slowly breathe out through the left nostril.
- Breathe in through the left nostril, while your thumb holds the right nostril closed.
- Breathe out through your right nostril, while holding your left nostril closed with the little finger.
Note – when you first start using alternate nostril breathing, begin with just 1 or 2 rounds, and gradually build up to around 10 rounds.
#4 Sun Gazing
Sun Gazing is a practice that is used to aid with the activation of the pineal gland by stimulating this gland as the sun’s energy moves through the eyes and charges the hypothalamus tract. Other benefits include:
- opens the energy channels in your body;
- improves eyesight;
- reduces hunger pangs;
- increases the size of the pineal gland;
- increases your energy levels;
- relieves stress and tension;
- powers the brain and boosts production of melatonin and serotonin.
How To Do Sun Gazing:
- Stay in a comfortable position and look directly at the sun for 10 seconds.
- Slowly, build up to 30 minutes a day.
- Visualize the light going into the front of your third eye chakra.
- on cloudy days, gaze at the position where the sun is behind the clouds;
- if the sun feels too bright, you can raise your hands and make a triangle and hold it up against the sun;
- don’t sun-gaze through windows, glasses, or contact lenses;
- this method is best practiced within an hour of sunrise or/and sunset.
An effective mudra which works to activate the pineal gland is Gyan mudra – the mudra of knowledge and wisdom which cultivates a sense of clarity.
How To Use Gyan Mudra
Touch the tip of the thumb with the tip of the index finger, keeping the other fingers straight but relaxed. Do this with both the left and right hand and hold for as long as you are comfortable.
#6 Essential Oils
Essential oils for activating the third eye include the following;
- Angelica Root;
- Bay Laurel;
- Clary Sage;
The third eye may be activated by using iolite. Other stones that open the third eye include:
- Red Tourmaline;
- Lapis lazuli;
Visualization is the mental action of the mind to materialize goals. When you align your physical and mental actions, you are working from all fronts in order to make it happen.
- Settle in a comfortable position.
- Relax your body.
- Once your whole body feels relaxed, visualize feeling lighter and lighter with each inhalation.
- Let any worry or tension go with each exhale.
- Shift your attention on your third eye.
- Imagine your head surrounded by a violet or indigo light.
- Visualize your third eye as a glowing area in the center of the head.
- Envision a bright light streaming out of your third eye. visualize the bright light becoming brighter until you can feel it heating and tingling your forehead.
Psychedelics are a classification of synthetic and plant-based substances which are known for producing non-ordinary states of consciousness.
Examples of psychedelic plants include:
- psilocybe mushrooms.
According to Dr. Rick Strassman, a psychedelic researcher:
“[The pineal gland] is quite active in synthesizing compounds related to serotonin, an important neurotransmitter in the brain. Neurotransmitters are the chemical messengers allowing communication among individual nerve cells. Most typical psychedelic drugs, such as LSD, mescaline, psilocybin, and DMT (dimethyltryptamine) are active in brain sites which are also affected by serotonin.”
Dr. Rick Strassman also said:
“Psychedelic drugs, meditational states, spontaneous near-death experiences and other phenomena which may induce stereotypic death/rebirth and paradisal/hellish states act via the pineal gland.”
#10 Aum Mantra
An effective method of activating your third eye is with the use of the AUM/OM mantra. The sound Om, when chanted, vibrates at the frequency of 432 Hz, that is the same vibrational frequency found throughout everything in nature.
Tip – you can chant the mantra aloud, or just mentally.
Solitude is a sensitive’s best friend. Connect with silence and enter a state of receptivity. Allow yourself to be a channel, see what solitude can offer you in terms of the answers and the clarity you are craving. Furthermore, alone time can restore your energy and give you the strength to pull them out.