Reiki is a radiant healing energy from the Universe that is directed towards where it is required by the Reiki healer.
When a Reiki Master attunes the students, they open their nadis (channels) so that these symbols are placed in their energy fields to help them tune anytime they require these energies for healing themselves, as well as others.
Cho Ku Rei is the first symbol introduced to Reiki practitioners. The symbol is commonly known as „The Power Symbol” and is usually translated as „put the power here.” It is also known as the “switch” to activate the healing energy in the Reiki healer.
Takata Sensei called this symbol the „Invocation of Universal Power”.
The top horizontal line of this symbol represents the Male energy of the Universe.
The line coming down represents the energy going to the Earth. It can also be the spinal column.
The spiral represents the Female energy of the Universe.
The spiral column touches the spinal column 7 times, one time for each Chakra.
Written clockwise, it increases the energy level and restores balance.
Written counter-clockwise, it decreases and disperses energy and clears negative energy. Be careful which you choose to do.
What Is Cho Ku Rei used for?
The purpose of the symbol is to increase the flow of Reiki energy through the healer and thus increase the healing. It is used in basically every healing situation and it is important to keep this purpose of increasing power firmly into the mind.
It is also used to increase or restore the life force and thus the energetical and nutritional value of food, to increase the potency of medication and/or reduce the side effects.
It is appropriate to invoke this symbol essentially in any situation where there is a strong decrease or increase in energy.
- Spiritual protection against all forms of black magic;
- Protection and energization of electronic devices;
- Protection and healing of animals and plants;
- The symbol can be used to clean a room from negative energy;
- It may be used to focus one’s attention;
- Energization and protection of living and working spaces, vehicles;
- You can use the symbol for a more concentrated meditation by visualizing or drawing it over your head before starting meditation or you can meditate on the symbol itself.
This symbol is considered sacred in the Reiki tradition and it is believed that it should only be taught to Reiki students who will learn how to use it properly.