Spiritual Meaning of Foot Pain:
It is essential to understand that with every ailment and disease out there, there is also a spiritual meaning of illness.
Specifically, illness is created within our physical body when we are resisting changes or issues within our lives.
The foot is an intricate structure containing 52 bones (they account for ¼ of all of the bones in the body) with 33 joints, 19 muscles, 107 ligaments, and numerous tendons that hold the structure together and allow it to move in different ways.
Foot pain affects nearly 10 percent of people and is associated with female sex, increased age, and obesity.
An estimated 75 percent of people in the United States will experience some type of foot problem during their lifetime.
Due to the nature of the foot itself, foot pain can have numerous causes, including:
- Bunions (a bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe);
- Achilles tendinitis (when the Achilles tendon becomes irritated);
- Achilles tendon rupture (occurs when the Achilles tendon tear);
- Haglund’s deformity;
- Avulsion fracture (happens when a small chunk of bone attached to a ligament or tendon gets pulled away from the main part of the bone);
- Ingrown toenails;
- Bone spurs (bony projections which develop along bone edges);
- Metatarsalgia (pain and inflammation in the ball of the foot);
- Broken ankle/broken foot:
- Morton’s neuroma (a condition that affects the nerves between the toes);
- Broken toe;
- Peripheral neuropathy (a disorder that occurs when the peripheral nerves malfunction);
- Bursitis (joint inflammation);
- Plantar fasciitis (occurs when the band of tissue that supports the arch of the foot becomes inflamed);
- Corns and calluses;
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus – due to poor circulation and neuropathy, this condition increases your chance of developing foot problems;
- Plantar warts (a common viral skin infection on the bottom side of the foot);
- Nerve damage;
- Peripheral arterial disease – occurs when plaque builds up in the arteries in the legs, reduces the blood flow to the feet and lower legs;
- Reactive arthritis (a painful form of inflammatory arthritis);
- Gout (arthritis related to excess uric acid) – this condition is also linked with other health risks like diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and chronic kidney disease;
- Retrocalcaneal bursitis (the most common form of heel bursitis);
- Hammertoe and mallet toe;
- Septic arthritis (usually caused by bacteria);
- High heels or poorly fitting shoes;
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome (squeezing on the posterior tibial nerve);
- Varicose veins (gnarled, enlarged veins);
- Osteoarthritis (a disease that is causing the breakdown of joints);
- Osteomyelitis (a bone infection);
- Tendinitis (an inflammation or irritation of a tendon);
- Paget’s disease of bone (the 2nd most common bone disorder after osteoporosis);
- Stress fractures;
- Rheumatoid arthritis (inflammatory joint disease);
- Raynaud’s disease (occurs smaller arteries that supply blood to the skin narrow);
- Psoriatic arthritis (chronic inflammatory arthritis which occurs in around 5 percent of sufferers with psoriasis).
According to studies, the five biggest exercise-related activities that cause foot pain include:
- walking for fitness purposes;
- running and/or jogging.
- arthritic conditions;
- walking often on hard surfaces;
- inadequate time for tissue rest;
- highly arched feet;
- large mass relative to the height;
- abnormal blood vessels;
- poorly sized shoes;
- occupations that involve a lot of standing;
- poor shoe wear.
You may be asked to walk while being watched.
In addition, imaging with ultrasound, blood test (it can identify conditions like gout), x-rays, or MRI may be performed to view:
- bone spurs;
- joint space.
Regularly exercising and stretching the ankles and feet can help to ensure that muscles are providing the best possible support.
Physical therapy can also stretch the Achilles tendon and plantar fascia, resulting in better stabilization of the heel and ankle.
Medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Voltaren Gel, and biologics help control pain, swelling, and inflammation in your feet.
Foot massage stimulates muscles, improves circulation, reduces tension, and frequently alleviates pain.
Foot Pain – Spiritual Meaning And Healing
Your feet are the foundation of your life and your body.
With the help of our legs, we stride towards the future.
Also, our feet represent our connection with Mother Earth.
All types of foot pain are the result of pushing too hard, too often, and too fast in all things: mental, emotional, and physical.
When your feet hurt, your soul is aching for a different foundation and a different way of stepping out into the world or not stepping out.
Basically, foot pain is the hallmark of our current rush culture.
Moreover, when we feel stuck in a situation or feel afraid of the future (start living in the present!), we can develop problems with our legs; this is our subconscious preventing us from moving forward.
Make a decision to resolve this issue and stick with it.
Once your attitude changes and you start to move forward, the problem with your legs will disappear.
Heel Pain (Plantar Fasciitis) – Spiritual & Emotional Meaning
Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common sources of heel pain.
This inflammation is very common, especially for runners.
Treatment typically involves rest, ice, and stretching exercises. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to release the tension on the plantar fascia.
It is associated with the way the sufferer understands life.
Knee Pain – Spiritual Meaning
The knee is the articulation point of the leg, responsible for flexibility and mobility. Knees represent pride. Pride or ego keeps us from surrendering to the will of the Supreme Consciousness.
An inflamed knee indicates someone or something is making you feel angry or irritated, and you will not give in.
Water in the knee indicates a holding of emotional energy, especially a resistance to surrender, or there may be too much emotion to cope with, and the weight is carried in the knees.
Long-term knee stress would indicate a need for greater attention on the Self, and less on ”duties” that are obviously stress-producing for you.
READ MORE: Spiritual Meaning Of Teeth Problems
Ankle pain – Spiritual Meaning
Ankles represent flexibility, which is crucial as one navigates the twists and turns of life.
Stiff, painful ankles are a sign that change is difficult for you.
Healing Affirmations For Foot Pain
”I step to the rhythm of the present moment.”
”I understand clearly and I am willing to change with the times.”
”I move forward in life with joy and with ease.”
”I am safe.”
READ MORE: 6 Foods That Trigger Migraines
Here are some expert top tips to keep your feet looking and feeling good:
Smoking cessation not only improves blood circulation but also prevents numerous other diseases, including lung problems and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Eat Anti-Inflammatory Foods
Chronic inflammation is a common cause of foot pain linked with several types of inflammatory arthritis, like rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and gout.
Anti-inflammatory foods include:
- Bok choy;
- Swiss chard;
- sweet potatoes;
- chia seeds;
- flax seeds;
- red cabbage;
READ MORE: High Vibration Foods List
Other prevention methods include:
- if you have high arches, consider arch support;
- warm-up correctly before engaging in physical activities, which may place lots of stress on the heels;
- avoid walking on uneven walking surfaces;
- avoid high heels;
- stretch as soon as you get out of bed in the morning;
- avoid shoes that seem to trigger pain;
- don’t go barefoot since it can lead to athlete’s foot and plantar warts;
- keep your weight in check since excess weight adds stress to your feet;
- wear shoes that fit;
- rest your feet.
Images credit – Shutterstock
READ THIS NEXT: Metaphysical Meaning of Body Pain