Itchy skin, also referred to as pruritus, is an irritating and uncontrollable sensation that makes you want to scratch to relieve the feeling.
Itching symptoms can be associated with:
- bumps on the skin;
- spots on the skin;
- dry skin;
- cracked skin;
- skin redness;
- flaky scalp;
- flaky skin.
According to statistics, about 25 percent of adults in the US will experience long-term skin itchiness during their lifetime.
Atopic dermatitis is a type of inflammation of the skin (dermatitis). It can appear as dry, red, irritated skin.
More importantly, if it becomes infected, you may have small, fluid-filled bumps, that can break and crust over.
According to statistics, atopic dermatitis occurs in 7.3 percent of adults in the U.S. In 2018, the top atopic dermatitis rates in infancy occurred in the United Kingdom and France.
People of all skin colors and ethnicities can be affected by atopic dermatitis:
- Native American – 13 percent;
- Asian or Pacific Islander – 13 percent;
- African American/black – 10 percent;
- White – 11 percent.
It is common for older people or folks who spend too much time in the sun, smoke tobacco, or overuse skin products.
Also, dry skin is prevalent in dry environments and during the winter.
Common symptoms of dry skin include:
- chapped or cracked skin or lips;
- cracks in the skin which are prone to bleeding;
- ashy-looking skin in individuals with darker skin;
- excessive itching;
- flaking skin throughout the body.
Changes in the level of the hormone estrogen may cause itchy skin, dryness, or flushed skin.
For instance, some menopausal women describe the sensation to feel like ants crawling under their skin.
READ MORE: Causes Of Grey Hair
Many people don’t realize the relation between dehydration and itchy skin. But, it is essential to stay hydrated to promote healthy skin.
Conditions that affect the nervous system (like – diabetes mellitus, multiple sclerosis, and shingles) can cause itching.
READ MORE: Osteoporosis – Spiritual Meaning
High emotional stress levels release histamine (a substance which plays a vital role in many allergic reactions), that causes flushing, itching, and occasionally rashes.
Reducing your stress levels through dance, yoga, Tai Chi, martial arts, running, cycling, and meditation can help boost your overall health.
READ MORE: Spiritual Meaning of Fatigue
Spiritual Meaning of Itchy Skin (Chin, Left, and Right Foot, Nose, Elbow)
If you experience skin problems, you should always ask yourself the following questions: Are you able to get in touch with others?
Are you able to offer and receive tenderness?
Have you defined your limits and, if you did, is there anything that tries to break you or bore you beyond these limits?
As long as an internal conflict cannot be reabsorbed on a psychological level, it manifests itself physically, and the result is that your skin has erupted and became inflamed.
You are now physically experimenting with the pain and the danger of a conflict that you could have avoided.
It would be better for you to consciously let the conflict pass, instead of trying to avoid it.
If you manage to resolve conflicts according to your will, they will no longer have their own manifestations in such an uncomfortable manner.
READ MORE: Spiritual Meaning of Restlessness
Making lifestyle changes can help reduce the risk of itchy skin.
These changes include:
- changing bedding regularly, ideally weekly;
- staying hydrated;
- sleeping 7 to 8 hours per night;
- treating all household pets which go outdoors with medications for parasites, like fleas and ringworms;
- avoiding long, warm baths before bedtime to prevent moisture loss;
- engaging in a daily meditation of at least 20 minutes;
- spending time outside to boost your sunshine vitamin levels;
- keeping the bedroom cool and make sure there is plenty of airflow;
- wearing clothing made from natural fibers;
- not smoking tobacco;
- having a diet rich in fruits and vegetables;
- avoiding the consumption of alcohol and caffeine (coffee, chocolate, energy drinks, and some teas), which can increase blood flow to the skin;
- avoiding scented or dyed cosmetic;
- having a diet low in histamine.
READ THIS NEXT: Spiritual Meaning of Eye Twitching